Information for Walkers
Booking for Activities
- Bookings are Essential. Contact the Walk Leader directly, using the contact details (phone or email) provided in the Program entry and always provide your membership number and mobile number. Do not use this website to register interest in an activity as it does not link to individual email accounts.
- If in doubt about your fitness discuss this with the Walk Leader when you book. This applies to any friend or family member you may bring along as a visitor/s on the day.
- Arrive on time for the Activity. It is your responsibility not to delay the start of the activity.
- If you have booked and are not able to attend please contact the Walk Leader as soon as possible to cancel as there may be a waiting list. Also, an undeclared absence may delay the start of an activity or affect transport and other arrangements, thereby inconveniencing other participants.
- Activity Walk Leaders may refuse to allow participation if a numbers limit has been reached, or a booking deadline has elapsed, or they consider a person to be unsuitably dressed, incapable of completing the activity, or inadequately equipped.
Visitors. If you are not a Member you are still welcome on most of our activities. Booking is essential. There is no visitor contribution however you are limited to one walk/activity before we encourage you to join. Walk Leaders can take your membership fee and give you an application form, or you can join online.
Walk Grade Descriptions | For Day Walks with Day Packs
- Grade 1 | Easy terrain and gradients, typically up to about 7km per day on good tracks, fire trails, or paved surfaces.
- Grade 2 | As above, but may typically involve slightly more difficult terrain, or total ascents/descents up to about 200m, or distances up to about 13km, or a combination of these.
- Grade 3 | May involve more difficult terrain, e.g rock-hopping in creeks, or total ascents/descents up to about 400m, or distances up to about 20km, or a combination of these.
- Grade 4 | As above, but may involve a bigger proportion of more difficult terrain, or total ascents/descents up to about 700m, or distances up to about 25km, or a combination of these.
- Grade 5 | May involve walking largely off track in difficult terrain, or total ascents/descents over 700m, or distances over 25km, or a combination of these.
- Grade 5+ | Exceptionally arduous walk, likely to involve unusually challenging distances or terrain or ascents/descents, or a combination of these. Suitable for very experienced bushwalkers only.
- Unsurveyed | The Walk Leader has not surveyed the walk. This is an additional designation to the numerical gradings above, and it can apply to any of them.
What To Bring On A Day Walk | The Following Is Recommended
- Small backpack. Avoid shopping bags or handbags.
- Walking boots or robust footwear. Should be comfortable and with good grip.
- Drinking water. At least 2 litres but 3-4 litres (or more) for hot conditions and/or strenuous activity.
- Food. For lunch plus high energy snacks.
- Light clothing for hot weather. To offset sweating.
- Wet weather gear. Always be ready for unexpected rain.
- Warm clothing for cooler weather. Always be ready for this too.
- Broad brimmed hat. For sun protection and shading the eyes.
- Sun block. For skin protection.
- Insect repellent. To deter flies, mosquitoes, leeches etc.
- First Aid Kit Including personal medication.
- Torch. In case group returns late.
- Sunglasses. For eye protection.
- Space Blanket. For warmth in emergencies.
- Whistle. In the event an emergency signalling is required.
- Mobile phone, map, compass or other navigation device. The Walk Leader will normally endeavour to look after navigation and emergency communication, but backup can be invaluable.
Car Pooling Rates
- The car pool cost is 35c per kilometre (for all cars, plus any other reasonable costs, e.g. National Park or road toll fees). This cost is shared equally between everybody. The Walk Leader’s decision will be final.
- The easiest way to divide the money is for each person (including drivers) to pay their share into a pool and then the drivers take equal shares. This ensures fair payments. Rounding at any stage of calculation to nearest whole dollar is customary to simplify change owing.
There are 3 cars and 10 participants: one car with a driver plus 1 passenger and two cars, each with a driver and 3 passengers. The cars make a total round trip of 160 km, the cost is computed as follows: 160km x 3 cars = 480km (total distance travelled by 3 cars) x 35¢/km = $168.00. There are 10 participants (including drivers) therefore $168.00/10 = $16.80, paid by each participant, and divided equally between the three drivers ($56.00 to each driver). If the round trip is greater than 300km the driver is to agree with the passengers (prior to departure) what rate is to be used, which should be lower than 35¢/km.
- Safety. The Walk Leader must appoint a Last Person to check that nobody gets left behind. A minimum of 4 people are required for an ANB Club Bush Walk to proceed.
- Changes and Cancellations are Unavoidable. Always check the Club’s website for the latest information on walks or activities advertised on the Program.
- If you are Injured. Our Club has an excellent safety record but just in case, we are insured through the Confederation of Bushwalking Clubs for Public Liability and Personal Injury. If you are injured then please immediately notify the Walk Leader. Assistance can then be organised for you as required. The Walk Leader will also complete an Injury Report (located on the back of the Attendance Form) for submission to our Club Committee. Information on making an insurance claim is available in the Member's section of the website or from a Committee Member.
- Public Transport. Phone 131 500 or visit http://www.transportnsw.info/. Check before the activity for information on delays and track work. Leave home earlier if necessary. It is your responsibility not to delay the start of the activity.
- Search and Rescue. For any emergency, telephone 000.
- Club Email. The Club has a group email facility for notifying members of recent news, last minute changes, etc. Contact us here for more information.